Immigration Updates – 24th of June

Contributor(s): Daniel King
Table of Contents
    Add a header to begin generating the table of contents
    Scroll to Top

    General Updates


    The government of Ireland has updated its Critical Skills Occupations List.

    • The following jobs have been added to the list: Pharmacist, Cardiac Physiologist; Medical Scientist; Occupational Therapist; Physiotherapist; Podiatrist/Chiropodist; Psychologist and Speech and Language Therapist.
    • Quota limitations have been removed from the occupations of Bricklayer, Plasterer and a number of other construction sector occupations which were removed from the Ineligible Occupations List in 2019 or 2021.
    • The quota for Meat Processing Operatives has been increased by 425. 

    For the purposes of the employment permits system, occupations fall into three categories:

    • Occupations listed on the Critical Skills Occupations List are highly skilled professional roles that are in high demand and are not always available in the resident labour force.  Occupations on this list are eligible for a Critical Skills Employment Permit (CSEP) and include roles such as medicine, ICT, sciences, finance and business.  Special “fast-track” conditions attach to this permit type including the eligibility to apply to the Department of Justice for family members to accompany the permit holder immediately; and after two years may apply for permission to work without the requirement for an employment permit. 
    • Ineligible occupations are those with evidence that there are sufficient Irish/EEA workers to fill such vacancies. Employment permits are not granted for these occupations.
    • Every other job in the labour market, where an employer cannot find a worker, is eligible for an employment permit.  For these occupations, the employer is required to undertake a Labour Market Needs Test and if no-one suitable applies for the job, the employer is free to apply for an employment permit.  Occupations such as these may be skills of a more general nature and are eligible for a General Employment Permit (GEP).  This permit type is renewable and after five years the applicant may apply to the Department of Justice for long term residency permission.


    The Swedish Migration Agency has released application and eligibility details of its new residence permit for highly qualified persons to look for work or start a business.

    In order to obtain a residence permit to seek employment or explore the possibilities for starting a business in Sweden, applicants must

    • have completed studies corresponding to an advanced level degree
    • plan to seek employment or explore the possibilities for starting their own business
    • be able to support themselves during the period for which they are applying for a permit and have money to cover the cost of their journey home
    • have comprehensive health insurance valid for care in Sweden
    • have a passport valid for the entire period they intend to be in Sweden (if their passport is about to expire, they should extend it because they cannot get a permit for longer than their passport is valid)
    • currently be located outside of Sweden.

    The permit may be granted for a minimum of three months and for no more than nine months. During this period, the holder’s family cannot move to Sweden to live with them.

    Holders who get a job in Sweden during the permit period can apply for a work permit from within the country. They are not allowed to start working before they have applied for the new permit.

    Once they have applied for a work permit, they will be able to work while the Swedish Migration Agency processes their new application. They are only allowed to work for the employer and in the profession for which they have applied for a permit.

    If the holder decides to start a business in Sweden, they can apply for a residence permit as a self-employed person in Sweden and run their business while the Swedish Migration Agency processes their application.


    Effective 1 July 2022, Russian nationals will be required to obtain a visa for entry to Ukraine for any purpose. The Ukrainian government has cancelled the previous bilateral visa-waiver agreement with Russia. 

    COVID-19 Updates


    • Effective 30 June, third-country travellers arriving in Finland, including from non-EU and non-Schengen countries, will no longer be required to hold vaccination or COVID-19 test certificates, and COVID-19 tests will not be carried out at border crossing points.
    Table of Contents
      Add a header to begin generating the table of contents
      Scroll to Top
      Would you like to

      Subscribe to our newsletter

      and get notified about new articles?

      Related Posts

      Weekly Immigration Updates
      Immigration updates – 17th of May
      Immigration updates - 10th of May
      Weekly Immigration Updates
      Immigration Updates – 3rd of May
      Scroll to Top